Meet With A Pdd Worker
There will be one or more meetings with a PDD worker to see if you are eligible for the program. When you meet, they will:
- talk to you and your family, friends and others on your support team
- review the documents that support your application
Sometimes your PDD worker changes when you start planning your services. This happens because some PDD workers only handle applications and others help you plan and access services.
If you are eligible
Your PDD worker will set up meetings with you and your support team to create your Outcome Plan. You will work together to:
- identify your vision for the kind of life you want to have
- look at the support you get from family, friends and your community
- understand your needs by reviewing your history and reports
- find the services that will help meet your needs
Your PDD application information can also be used to apply for the Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped program. Your PDD worker will help you do this if you like.
If you are not eligible
Your PDD worker will meet with you and your support team to:
- explain why you are not eligible
- give you information about other Alberta government programs and services you may be eligible for
- provide information about other supports in your community
- tell you and your support team about ways to resolve concerns about your eligibility
Apply Using A Paper Application
If you are applying by paper, you must complete 1 of the following forms that applies to your situation:
Please mail the form to us or drop it off at a Service Canada office.
Information on completing the application form
- Read all instructions, which include steps for completing your application, changes that may affect your benefits, an address page, a checklist and other information about disability benefits
- Write/type your Social Insurance Number at the top of each page in the form and sign all areas that require your signature
- If you are a parent or guardian, you can request the child-rearing provision and the children’s benefit
- If you are unable to fill out the forms, a family member or a friend can help you. Make sure that you sign where necessary
- Keep photocopies of everything you submit. If you call us, write down the name of the person you speak to and the date and time of your conversation. Keep all the information in one place
If someone is helping you with your application
You must provide consent for someone to help you with your application. You can do this 2 ways:
This does not give the person helping you authority to:
- submit your application
- apply for benefits on your behalf
- change your payment address
- request or change the withholding of tax for you
If you need to apply or act on someone’s behalf
If someone cannot manage their own affairs, another person or agency may act on their behalf.
Who Is Eligible For The Dtc
You are eligible for the DTC only if we approve Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate. A medical practitioner has to fill out and certify that you have a severe and prolonged impairment and must describe its effects. Answer a few questions to find out if the person with the disability may be eligible.
If we have already told you that you are eligible, do not send another form unless the previous period of approval has ended or if we tell you that we need one. You should tell us if your medical condition improves and you no longer meet the criteria for the DTC.
See Eligibility criteria for the disability tax credit to know more about the requirements to be eligible for the DTC.
Read Also: Is Adhd Mental Retardation
Persons With Disabilities Designation Application
Contact us to request an application. It has three sections:
- You fill out the applicant portion
- Your doctor or nurse practitioner fills out the medical report portion
- A prescribed professional fills out the assessor report portion. For example, this could be a doctor, registered nurse or social worker
After you submit your application, well review it. Well let you know if you meet the eligibility criteria for the PWD designation.
Supplemental Security Income Application Process And Applicants’ Rights
CHECK IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR SSI AND HOW TO APPLY
We strongly recommend you check the eligibility requirements for SSI before you start your application or contact us to make an appointment. If you are unsure you may qualify after reading these requirements, call us at 1-800-772-1213 .
You can apply for SSI benefits by:
Visiting our Apply Online for Disability Benefits website to start the disability application process online. You may be eligible to apply for SSI through the online disability application.
Having someone else call and make the appointment for you or assist you with your application for SSI. For more information, see our chapter on HOW SOMEONE CAN HELP YOU WITH YOUR SSI or
You will have to provide information and work with us to get documents concerning SSI eligibility.
WHEN TO APPLY
Apply as soon as possible so that you do not lose benefits. We cannot pay benefits for time periods earlier than the effective date of your application.
If you call us to make an appointment to apply and you file an application within 60 days, we may use the date of your call as your application filing date.
If you are in a public institution but you will be leaving within a few months, you may not be eligible for SSI until you leave. You may, however, be able to apply before you leave so that SSI benefits can begin quickly after you leave. Check with the institution and contact us about filing an application under the “prerelease procedure.”
Read Also: How To Calculate Disability Retirement Pay
Apply For Odsp Online
Follow these steps to apply for ODSP online. In most cases, it takes 20 to 30 minutes.
You should submit only one application for you and your family that lives with you.
Before you start
Make sure that all family members included in your application are present when you apply online so they can provide their consent and confirm their information.
Have your familys identification and banking documents ready, such as:
- social insurance numbers
- total monthly income and available assets
- other expenses
- your bank account information so you can get your payment quickly
Once complete, submit your application.
Step 2: ODSP reviews your application
Your local ODSP office will review your application.
Step 3: your local ODSP office contacts you
Your local ODSP office will call you within 15 business days of submitting your application. This does not include weekends and holidays.
The office will schedule an intake verification interview. You may be asked to provide more information to support your application, such as copies of bills or other documents.
Step 4: meet with your caseworker
You will meet with a caseworker from your local ODSP office to review your application.
The caseworker may ask you to provide documents that will help determine if you are financially eligible for ODSP.
If no additional information is required, the caseworker will let you know if you are financially eligible for ODSP within 15 business days.
Step 5: submit a disability determination package
How To Claim The Disability Amount Once The Dtc Application Is Approved
You can claim the disability amount on your tax return once the person with the disability is eligible for the DTC.
- To claim the disability amount for yourself, see line 31600
- To claim the disability amount for your dependant, see line 31800
- To claim the disability amount for your spouse or common-law partner, see line 32600
If a person was eligible for the DTC for previous years but did not claim the disability amount when they sent their tax return, they can request adjustments for up to 10 years under the CRA’sTaxpayer Relief Provision.
To claim the disability amount for those prior years, you can ask for a reassessment. For more information, go to How to change my return.
See the following chart to know the maximum federal disability amounts and the maximum supplement for children with disabilities for prior years.
Also Check: Sdi Benefit Amount
What You Need For Apply For Ssdi Or Ssi Benefits
You will get a faster decision when you apply for Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income with the Social Security Administration if you provide:
- Your Social Security number
- Medical records from your doctors, therapists, hospitals, clinics and caseworkers
- Laboratory and test results
- Names, addresses, phone and fax numbers of your doctors, clinics and hospitals
- Names of all medications you are taking
- Names of your employers and job duties for the last 15 years
If you are applying for a child, you also need school records regarding your child’s disability.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Don’t wait to file your claim for disability payments even if you don’t have all this information.
Next Steps For Apply For Ssdi Or Ssi Benefits
Evidence required by DDS for case documentation
Once you apply for disability benefits with the SSA, the Disability Determination Services , a division of the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission, will review your case. DDS will review medical information and vocational information, if necessary, that includes:
- A history of all work performed in the last 15 years
- A description of the physical demands and skill requirements for each job
- Educational history
When all required medical and vocational information is received, the disability examiner and staff physician and/or psychologist carefully evaluate each claim, using a sequential evaluation process.
The following people or agencies can help supply the information that is needed to process a claim for disability benefits.
- Treating physicians and psychologists
- School records
- Consultative examinations authorized by the DDS
You May Like: Apply For Social Security Disability In Ohio
Have Your Doctor Fill Out Part B
- open the AISH Application Part B Medical Report form in Adobe Reader, save it, fill it out and print it.
- Paper copy: print the Part B Medical Report form and fill it in by hand, or contact an AISH office or Alberta Supports to get one.
- Your doctor may charge you for this service.
- You are responsible for paying the fee to the doctor to complete the medical report.
- If you are on Income Support, the cost to fill in these reports may be covered contact your Income Support worker.
- If you are not on Income Support, but need financial help find out how to apply for other benefits, while waiting for AISH.
- Ask you doctor to submit the completed Part B Medical Report to AISH. Or you can submit it to AISH yourself by:
- including it with your AISH Application, or
- faxing it to 1-877-969-3006 or 587-469-3006 , or
- mailing it to PO Box 17000 Station Main, Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4B3
Get An Accessible Parking Permit
Learn how to apply for a new accessible parking permit.
We have extended the expiry dates of accessible parking permits for people with accessibility needs , travellers, visitors and motorcyclists. Permits that expired on or after March 17, 2020 will continue to remain valid past the original expiry dates until further notice. This is in an effort to help keep people safe, reduce the need for in-person visits to ServiceOntario and stop the spread of COVID-19.
Recommended Reading: Can You Get Disability For Sciatica Pain
Reopening Your Aish File
- If you leave AISH, you may have your AISH file reopened quickly if:
- it has been less than 2 years since you got your last AISH benefits
- you did not leave AISH due to a change in your medical condition
Information About Family Members
- Social Security numbers and proof of age for each family member who may qualify for benefits and
- Proof of marriage, if your spouse is applying for benefits, as well as dates of prior marriages, if applicable.
If you don’t have all the documents you need, don’t delay filing for benefits. We will help you get the information you need.
Also Check: What Is Non Medical Disability
Receive A Response From Us
It can take up to 120 days for a decision to be made from the date we receive your complete application and all required documents.
Identify The Rdsp Holder
The holder of the RDSP is the person or organization that opens and manages the RDSP.
For beneficiaries under the age of majority, the holder can be a legal parent, legal representative or public department
Note: To open an RDSP, both the beneficiary and the holder of the plan will need to provide their SIN. Find out how to get a SIN.
For beneficiaries over the age of majority, the holder is generally the beneficiary. In certain circumstances, a guardian, legal representative or public department may be eligible to become the holder
Note: Until the end of 2023, if an adult beneficiary cannot open an RDSP due to concerns about his/her ability to enter into a contract and he/she does not have a legal representative, certain family members can become the plan holder and open an RDSP on his or her behalf. A qualifying family member could be a beneficiary’s spouse, common-law partner or parent. If this applies to your family, contact a participating financial organization. For more information, visit Opening an RDSP or call 1-800-959-8281 .
Note: The age of majority varies across provinces and territories.
Recommended Reading: How Much Does Disability Pay In California
Assistance For Children With Severe Disabilities
If you are a parent caring for a child with a severe disability, you may be able to receive financial support through the Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities Program.
This program provides financial support for low-income to moderate-income families to cover some of the extra costs of caring for a child who has a severe disability.
You can apply for ACSD:
- by contacting your local office
What Is The Disability Tax Credit
The disability tax credit is a non-refundable tax credit that helps persons with disabilities or their supporting persons reduce the amount of income tax they may have to pay. An individual may claim the disability amount once they are eligible for the DTC. This amount includes a supplement for persons under 18 years of age at the end of the year.
The purpose of the DTC is to provide for greater tax equity by allowing some relief for disability costs, since these are unavoidable additional expenses that other taxpayers dont have to face.
Being eligible for the DTC can open the door to other federal, provincial, or territorial programs such as the registered disability savings plan, the Canada workers benefit, and the child disability benefit.
Read Also: How Much Is The Average Disability Check
How Your Application Is Assessed
If you have made enough contributions to the Canada Pension Plan, we pass your file to our medical specialists for a medical assessment.
Applications are not assessed on the basis of a medical diagnosis alone, or on the basis of which disability or disease you have. Several factors are considered, including:
- the nature and severity of your medical condition
- the impact of the condition and treatment on your capacity to work
- the likely course of your condition
- your age, education and work history
- your work performance, productivity and how much you are earning
Service Canada does not consider the availability of suitable employment in the applicant’s region when determining eligibility.
Apply Online For Disability Benefits
Social Security offers an online disability application you can complete at your convenience. Apply from the comfort of your home or any location at a time most convenient for you. You do not need to drive to your local Social Security office or wait for an appointment with a Social Security representative.
You can use the online application to apply for disability benefits if you:
- Are age 18 or older
- Are not currently receiving benefits on your own Social Security record
- Are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death: and
- Have not been denied disability benefits in the last 60 days. If your application was recently denied for medical reasons, the Internet Appeal is a starting point to request a review of the medical determination we made.
- Print and review the Adult Disability Checklist.
It will help you gather the information you need to complete the application.
We suggest that you have the following information at hand. It will make completing the application much easier.
Information About You
Information About Your Medical Condition
Information About Your Work
We may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:
We accept photocopies of W-2 forms, self-employment tax returns or medical documents, but we must see the original of most other documents, such as your birth certificate.
Mailing Your Documents
After we receive your online application, we will:
Don’t Miss: Medically Retired Pay Calculator
What You Could Get
Ontario Works offers two types of assistance:
- help with the essential costs of living and health benefits for clients and their eligible family members
- help to find and keep a job
If you are eligible for Ontario Works, the amount of money you get will depend on your specific situation. In most cases, you must to participate in employment-related activities to get financial help.
If you are eligible for Ontario Works you could receive:
- $733 a month for basic needs and shelter
- additional amounts for benefits and other family members who live with you