Disclaimer: Changes In Your Work Or Life Situation
The information on this page applies to departments and agencies served by the Pay Centre. If your department or agency is not served by the Pay Centre, contact your departmental compensation unit.
Please request additional guidance from your manager, departmental human resources and finance, as pay-related information and processes are subject to change.
Documents That Can Be Combined To Provide Proof Of All Three Elements Of Identity When Shown Together
Proof of legal name and date of birth
- Canadian Birth Certificate or a proof of birth document issued by a US jurisdiction
- Canadian Permanent Resident Card without signature
- Certified copy of Statement of Live Birth issued by the Government of Ontario
- US Passport Card
- Certified copy of marriage certificate issued by the Government of Ontario
Proof of legal name and signature
- Certificate of Indian Status
Proof of date of birth
- Nexus Card and FAST/EXPRESS Card
Proof of signature
- Drivers licence or enhanced drivers licence issued by another Canadian or US jurisdiction
- Ontario Health Card
- Identity card issued by a Canadian or US jurisdiction
- Ontario Student Card with signature
- Canadian Department of National Defence Identity Card
Consider Contacting An Attorney
The application process can be lengthy and confusing. If you have questions about any stage of the process, you might want to contact an experienced disability attorney. To find a disability attorney in your area, visit our attorney locator page.
Recommended Reading: Ca Sdi Calculator
Recommended Reading: How Does Va Compensation Pay Work
What Does The Us Government Consider A Disability
Social Security covers a person only if they are totally disabled. Unfortunately, there are no benefits for short-term or partial disabilities under Social Security. Total disability is defined by:
- The person can no longer do their job due to their disability, and
- The government determines that the person cannot work in any other position due to the disability, and
- The disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least a year or expected to result in premature death.
Person With A Disability
The programs definition of a person with a disability is found in the ODSP Act.
Meeting the definition means that:
- you have a substantial mental or physical impairment that is continuous or recurrent, and is expected to last one year or more and
- your impairment directly results in a substantial restriction in your ability to work, care for yourself, or take part in community life and
- your impairment, its duration and restrictions have been verified by an approved health care professional
To determine whether you meet this definition, your caseworker will give you a Disability Determination Package for you and your health care provider to complete.
Your completed package will be used to determine if you meet the programs definition of a person with a disability.
Travel With An Accessible Parking Permit Outside Of Ontario
You can get a traveller permit if you have a valid accessible parking permit and plan to park your car in an accessible parking spot during your travel. For example, parking at an Ontario airport or train station.
The traveller permit must be displayed in the parked vehicle at the point of departure. The original permit travels with you.
Also Check: Military Retirement And Disability Calculator
Persons With Disabilities Designation Application
Contact us to request an application. It has three sections:
- You fill out the applicant portion
- Your doctor or nurse practitioner fills out the medical report portion
- A prescribed professional fills out the assessor report portion. For example, this could be a doctor, registered nurse or social worker
After you submit your application, well review it. Well let you know if you meet the eligibility criteria for the PWD designation.
Don’t Miss: Dod Civilian Retirement Calculator
How To Apply Apply For Ssdi Or Ssi Benefits
Reviewing Your Return To Work Schedule
Your manager will review your situation to determine if your needs can be accommodated in his/her organization. They will consult with departmental human resources who will coordinate your return to work with your manager and caseworker, if you are receiving benefits through disability or long term disability.
Your manager will inform the Pay Centre of your return to work or rehabilitation schedule, once it has been approved by the employee, manager and human resources, if it differs from your pre-illness schedule. Your manager will also inform your departmental human resources, who in turn will advise the Pay Centre when you are no longer on a rehabilitation schedule. You will be required to provide the Pay Centre with a copy of the approved rehabilitation schedule from your insurer.
Don’t Miss: How To Get The Highest Va Disability Rating
Consider Getting Help Describing Your Disabilities
The application process can be lengthy and confusing, and the details you include about your medical conditions are very important. Getting legal help at the initial application stage can give you a better shot at getting benefits in just three or four months, rather than being denied and having to go to an appeal hearing a year later. Disability representatives collect a one-time fee, only if you win benefits .
Unfortunately, many law firms won’t take a disability case until you get denied. But a good disability advocacy firm will help you fill out the application and stay with you throughout the claims process. They can:
- help you avoid mistakes in the online application
- arrange for you to get the proper medical tests
- walk you through all the steps in the process
- help you fill out all the forms you’ll encounter
- make sure you cover all the required criteria and have medical evidence to support your claim, and
- handle the filing for you.
Most importantly, they can help you accurately but persuasively fill in the details about your disability onset date, your physical limitations, and your prior work responsibilities.
Make sure you choose a firm with disability lawyers who can represent you if you do get denied and have to go to a hearing. Click for a free consultation with an experienced disability advocate who can help you with your application.
You Can Also File A Disability Claim:
File your claim by mail using an Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits .
Print the form, fill it out, and send it to this address:
Department of Veterans Affairs
With the help of a trained professional
You can work with a trained professional called an accredited representative to get help filing a claim for disability compensation.Get help filing your claim
Read Also: What Is Non Medical Disability
Should I Submit An Intent To File Form
If you plan to file for disability compensation using a paper form, you may want to submit an intent to file form first. This can give you the time you need to gather your evidence while avoiding a later potential start date . When you notify us of your intent to file, you may be able to get retroactive payments .
Note: You dont need to notify us of your intent to file if you file for disability compensation online. This is because your effective date gets set automatically when you start filling out your disability compensation form onlinebefore you submit it.
Create A Benefit Programs Online Account
Before you can use SDI Online, you must first create a Benefit Programs Online account.
Important: BPO is available 24 hours per day. Once you register on BPO, you are not done yet. You will receive an email to confirm your account, which includes a link. Select the link to complete your registration. For security purposes, the link will expire within 48 hours. For more information on how to register, access Benefit Programs Online: Overview and Registration for New Users .
If you donât get this message in your inbox, check your spam or junk mail folder
Recommended Reading: Apply For Va Disability Rating
Receive A Response From Us
It can take up to 120 days for a decision to be made from the date we receive your complete application and all required documents.
If You Do Not Qualify Financially For Income Support
If your caseworker tells you that you do not qualify financially for Income Support, you can ask to have the decision reviewed. This is first step in the appeal process and is called an Internal Review.
While the review takes place, you may continue with part two of the application process : looking at your disability status.
Indiana Disability Determination Bureau
Title II covers workers who have established eligibility through prior work and Title XVI has a needs-based income and resource eligibility requirement. The purpose of these programs is to identify people who have disabilities that preclude the ability to work, or for children, preclude the ability to fully participate in learning activities. These programs have two desired outcomes. The first desired outcome is to correctly identify disabled adults and children. The second desired outcome is to have adults with potential referred to a public or private Vocational Rehabilitation Services, through the Social Security Administrations Ticket to Work program.
In order to accomplish its mission, the Indiana DDB must work closely with the 26 local SSA Field Offices throughout Indiana, and Social Security Administration at the regional and national levels. The DDB must follow the statutory definition of disability in making its medical determinations.
How Much Is The Payment
If youre eligible, Services Australia will pay you $750 for each seven-day period youve been told to self-isolate or quarantine, or are caring for someone who has COVID-19.
The Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment is taxable income. This means youll need to include it in your Income Tax Return.
If you receive any Family Assistance or Child Support payments, you can to see how theyll be affected.
Recommended Reading: How Much Is The Average Disability Check
Filling Your Position In Your Absence
There may be the potential that your position could be filled on a permanent basis while you are on leave without pay. This generally happens if your period of leave exceeds one year. Your manager will be in contact with you if this occurs.
Your manager will regularly re-examine your situation to ensure that continuation of leave without pay is warranted by current medical evidence. Such leave without pay situations are to be resolved within 2 years of the leave commencement date, although each case must be evaluated on the basis of its particular circumstances.
Refer to Appendix B of the Directive on Leave and Special Working Arrangements for additional information.
Effects Of Leave Without Pay On Benefits And Employment
Your leave without pay will have an impact on:
Once the Pay Centre receives the necessary documentation from your departmental human resources team, it will provide you with a benefit letter outlining the impact your period of leave without pay will have on your benefits.
The Pay Centre will also explain:
- how your sick leave benefits are impacted
- how to complete and submit disability and long term disability insurance forms
Read Also: Multiple Sclerosis Housing Benefit
What Is The Disability Tax Credit
The disability tax credit is a non-refundable tax credit that helps persons with disabilities or their supporting persons reduce the amount of income tax they may have to pay. An individual may claim the disability amount once they are eligible for the DTC. This amount includes a supplement for persons under 18 years of age at the end of the year.
The purpose of the DTC is to provide for greater tax equity by allowing some relief for disability costs, since these are unavoidable additional expenses that other taxpayers dont have to face.
Being eligible for the DTC can open the door to other federal, provincial, or territorial programs such as the registered disability savings plan, the Canada workers benefit, and the child disability benefit.
Next Steps For Apply For Ssdi Or Ssi Benefits
Evidence required by DDS for case documentation
Once you apply for disability benefits with the SSA, the Disability Determination Services , a division of the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission, will review your case. DDS will review medical information and vocational information, if necessary, that includes:
- A history of all work performed in the last 15 years
- A description of the physical demands and skill requirements for each job
- Educational history
When all required medical and vocational information is received, the disability examiner and staff physician and/or psychologist carefully evaluate each claim, using a sequential evaluation process.
The following people or agencies can help supply the information that is needed to process a claim for disability benefits.
- Treating physicians and psychologists
- School records
- Consultative examinations authorized by the DDS
Also Check: What Is Considered Low Income In South Carolina
How Your Application Is Assessed
If you have made enough contributions to the Canada Pension Plan, we pass your file to our medical specialists for a medical assessment.
Applications are not assessed on the basis of a medical diagnosis alone, or on the basis of which disability or disease you have. Several factors are considered, including:
- the nature and severity of your medical condition
- the impact of the medical condition and treatment on your capacity to work
- the likely course of your condition
- your age, education and work history
- the number of hours worked, your ability to attend work regularly, and earnings
Service Canada does not consider the availability of suitable employment in the applicant’s region when determining eligibility.
Review The Adult Disability Checklist Before Starting
Before beginning the application process, applicants should review the Adult Disability Checklist.
Specifically, the online application requires the following personal information:
- Date and place of birth
- Legal name
- Military service duty, branch, and length of service
- Social Security number
- Spouse/former spouse marriage and/or divorce dates
- Name and DOB of minor children
- Bank account information for direct deposit
- Tax returns for your last two years of employment
- Education and training history
- Work history, including job title, type of business, pay rate, as well as weekly hours and years worked
- If applicable, workers compensation claim number, date of injury, settlement agreement, and proof of benefit amounts received
Just as importantly, gather the following information about your medical condition that you believe qualifies you for disability benefits.
Specifically, the disability application requires the following health information:
- Detailed information about illness and conditions that limit your ability to work
- Doctor, hospital, and clinic names, addresses, phone numbers, as well as first and last dates of treatment
- List of medications, why they are taken, and the prescribing physicians name
- Names and dates of medical tests, as well as the provider who recommended them
- If requiring assistance: name, address and contact information for a trusted person that knows of your conditions and can help fill out an application
Recommended Reading: Universal Disability Access Pass
You Can Still File A Claim And Apply For Benefits During The Coronavirus Pandemic
Get the latest information about in-person services, claim exams, extensions, paperwork, decision reviews and appeals, and how best to contact us during this time.
- Find out if youre eligible for VA disability compensation
- Gather any evidence youll submit yourself when you file your VA disability claim.
- Be sure your claim is filled out completely and you have all the supporting documents ready to send in along with your claim. This will help us process your claim quickly.
Division Of Temporary Disability And Family Leave Insurance
Step 1: Create an Account
If you don’t already have an account for our secure online system, and follow the prompts from the “First Time User?” button.
Step 2: Start an Application
You’ll then be directed to the first page of the application. Read it and click the box to confirm you agree with the terms before filling out the rest of the pages.
Step 3: Print Instruction Forms
After your parts are complete, you’ll be prompted to print instructions with a unique Online Form ID number. Give them to your healthcare provider so they can complete their part online.
Step 4: Receive Debit Card in the Mail
We send the debit card even before your application is processed, so it won’t have funds on it at first. For more information about how the debit card works, .
Step 5: Await Your Decision
Applications are processed in the order in which they are received. Online applications are processed quicker than those sent by mail or fax.
Step 6: If Approved, Access Your Funds
If we approve your application for benefits, funds will be loaded onto your debit card after two business days. You can check the status of your claim by .
- Before You File
- Private Plan Insurance
About the Program
Who Qualifies for State Benefits
The only exemptions are:
- optional for local government, including school district employees
- out-of-state employees
- workers that are not technically employees .
How Much I Need to Earn to Qualify
How the Program Is Funded
|$4,200||11 base weeks|
Read Also: What Does 90 Percent Va Disability Pay